Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Summer Back Pack

Not long ago I took the plunge and bought an Asus tablet. Although I love my Nook for reading books, storing recipes, files, etc it is a little small for reading e-magazines, web surfing or email. My Asus does those things wonderfully and so I wanted to take it on vacation. Well it didn't fit into my purses so I finally made a little back pack which was just perfect to use as I traveled hands-free through the airports on vacation. I'm continuing to use it whenever I'm out with my Asus or just need a small back pack so I can be hands free.
I used a a kid's backpack pattern from McCall's as it was the size I wanted and it was in my stash. I added an extra pocket at the back and a long fabric strap with a clip to hold my keys yet allow me to pull them and use without unhooking them. Picking the fabrics was one of the time consuming elements as I wanted to use my hand dyed pieces. Ended up piecing some commercial pieces to make the straps and commercial for the lining. Oh yes, added some extra pockets inside too. So overall I'm pleased.

Hope you're having a fun, colorful, creative summer! Or winter depending where you are spending it!

6 comments:

  1. What wonderful hand dyed fabrics. Gives the Back Pack pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Gina. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting, that way I found your blog. Really cool backpack, and so useful. I also like your combination of clay and textile embellishments. Very interesting results. I enjoyed the visit!
    best from Tunisia,
    nadia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I love the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. there is nothing like a back pack or purse made to our own specific specifications.
    i also find a back pack encourages good posture!
    Hope you're having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fabric and bag are beautiful as usual.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you! If you've made your email address available I'll send an email reply. Thanks for visiting!