Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Duck Days






I don't recall the name of these ducks but I sure enjoy watching them each day as they lounge around our yard. Lately they have been spending a lot of time in the wild flower garden and we discovered why. Our oak tree in the front yard is having a bumper crop of acorns this year and my husband has been constantly sweeping them up trying to keep the driveway and street semi-clean of them. We don't know if they are good for the garden and plants so we've spread them in behind the flowers where we want to keep a path open for tending. I see the ducks back there pecking away; very happy.

These are the acorns they are enjoying. I'm hoping to incorporate a few into some fiber studies; not sure just how yet but I'll be experimenting this winter.

4 comments:

  1. My Mum and Dad's yard had oak trees when I was a kid. Not too pleasant to walk on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous feathers on those ducks. Have fun with the acorns. Maybe if you boil some with some fabric, you can get a natural dye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muscovy ducks - we've a few about too.
    And my oak tree is prolific with acorns this year.
    I have 5lbs of them waiting for dye experiments!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you! If you've made your email address available I'll send an email reply. Thanks for visiting!