Pages

Thursday, November 19, 2009

New Wall Approach







I've been really happy with my clay quilt boxes but want to create something 'outside the box'; a clay frame for fiber work but with dimension. So I placed my textured slabs over cylinders. Here I used an oat container and for the larger slab I used a plastic pipe from the hardware store. (I know there is a technical name for it but the term escapes me.) Molding the clay on these will give it the dimension I'm looking for and allow me to wire the backs to hold firmly against the wall. I cut some holes for the wire and then stitching holes where I will attach my fiber art.

So far I've worked on the small piece. Rather than create a little quilt I decided to use one of the papers I made this summer. This one has turmeric, onion skin and a few wild flowers. I stitched an extra piece of paper to the side to create the size I needed and then realized I liked the interest it added.



I tired out the heavy cord just inside the clay, going off both ends and off just one end. Now that it is complete I think I would prefer it going off both ends.  *** What do you think?  I also discovered when I looked at the photo that there is a little loop of thread caught up so now I'll be re-stitching the paper too!  Do I continue with this idea? Explore the handmade paper with it or go with my original idea of mini quilts? Always decisions to make as we move forward.


I'll end with a couple more quilt show pieces. "Freedom is not Free" is by Pat Kumicich. The last one I'm sorry I don't have recorded but images of the seal hunt came to mind and I wanted to scoop that little guy right up.



4 comments:

  1. Interesting! what about the cording staggered? On the left starting at the top and ending before the bottom (as it is now), on the right starting one hole below the top and going off the bottom? Would echo the slanted texture that is in the base clay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's called "PVC" (the hardware store pipe) and these pieces are so innovative and lovely, Gina... so very unusual. I really love them!

    You could illuminate your work by making these to go over light sconces, too, which could look pretty amazing in a dark room, but even without that, these are wonderful little art pieces. Go, you!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you! If you've made your email address available I'll send an email reply. Thanks for visiting!