Pages

Friday, May 29, 2009

Why Am I Blogging?


A few years ago I didn't even know what a blog was and now I'm ready to become a blogger. Life is flying by and I'd love to be able to look back and see the stages and progression my art has gone through and this will allow that. I also have been enjoying peering into the studios of other artists, seeing the wonderful creations they have been working on. Sometimes when I've commented on those blogs I've been asked 'where is your blog?', so now I have my blog here. Welcome!

Above is a photo of my first stitched teapot. Our assignment in hand building class was to create a bust sized self portrait. It didn't have to be an actual bust but it had to tell about us. As a Home Economist turned potter, a stitched teapot sitting on a pin cushion tells my story.



Brian Somerville taught the class and he was excellent in asking just the right questions to get us to come up with ideas, plans, improvements, that we needed for our work. As I was sketching teapots he made the comment that a teapot doesn't have to be functional and asked how I might make that clear in my sculpture. That is when I decided to create my spout from a slab and stitch it in place. A slab built spout is not going to pour! Thanks Brian!



5 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogland Gina! I look forward to following your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the playfulness of this piece. What caught my eye were the bright colours followed by the stance of the teapot. You have wonderfully melded the arts of sewing and pottery.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you! If you've made your email address available I'll send an email reply. Thanks for visiting!